RSS

Sunday, March 1, 2009

FG-1D Corsair WIP ~

This is the photograph I took, that I am using for this piece. Is of my Favorite fighter the FG-1D Corsair, Navy didn't like them much as these planes were pretty much blind when landing and taking off. Other wise they were a good fighter.
It will be done in Watercolor pencil with a small addition of Ink. Not quite the way I normally do my paintings but I wanted to try to do most of this painting in watercolor.

Here I pencil in the rough shape of the Corsair.

Just started on a murky type of sky background.

Adding the first layers of watercolor and a bit of ink in the dark areas under the wing.

Bit more layers of color, 2nd wash of color on the left wing, first wash of color on the props.

More color and just started adding a bit of depth.

Question- I was asked how I used my watercolor pencils?
I use a larger square brush for the background and yes I use my watercolor pencils. Use them "about" like you would use a cake of watercolor. Except with the pencil it is easier for me.
Use Wet to Wet method for the backgrounds.
I wet my brush use the pencil to rub color directly on my brush and apply paint to the slightly damp watercolor paper.
Detail is done in the same way but just with a smaller brush, can be wet to wet or wet to dry. It takes practice to learn how much watercolor to rub on your brush.
On paintings like this, I never put watercolor pencil to paper as it will not give me the results I want.


0 comments: